Wednesday, September 09, 2009

One Hour Till Bedtime



I'm completely baffled by what other people do with their kids all day because I run out of ideas all the time. I have this problem especially when Tyler has to leave in the evening and it's just me and the kids all night, after it's been just me and the kids all day long. After dinner is done and cleaned up, I just stare at them, and they stare back, all of us with a 'now what?' look on our face. We've already colored, done the dinosaur puzzle 4 or 8,000 times, watched probably too much TV, played with the blocks, and been on a walk. It's too late for playdates or to start any sort of big scheme. Nora's got to go to bed in a half an hour, so we can't go anywhere, and nothing's open anyway. (This was the time when I used to walk to Claire's house, but she lives in California, so it's a bit too far away. I've got to find another Claire, is what I've got to do.)

Occasionally, I'll call my mom because she's always got good ideas.

So, I thought I'd start documenting the things we do at this time. In case any other moms have this problem; but mostly for me, so next time I'm bored, I can look back and think 'oh yeah, that was a good time suck.'

8 comments:

Claire said...

dang, i'm gonna start doing that at my place in the evenings.

Emily said...

I love that you did the music and everything-so funny!

Clint and Gillian said...

hahah that was too funny! loved it!

Shawna said...

I like it! I usually succumb to tv at that time of day as well. Thanks for the good idea!

Lu and Moo said...

Um, yet again I am asking myself the question, "Why don't I go play at their house?!"

Carrie G said...

the last hour is the longest of the day.
that's a good idea...I will definitely be using it. If you hadn't been filming, could your part have included lying on the couch?

krissiecook said...

Nice idea. Stellan and I like to jam - we bring out a bunch of "instruments" (the term is used literally as well as loosely in our home) into the living room and make lots of noise. Have I mentioned how much our neighbors love us? If only you were our neighbors; we could solve two problems at once!

Marti said...

Good job, honey. This is something we used to do a lot of in kindergarten. All those words, in, around, over, under, behind, in front of, etc. have to be learned in kindergarten. And, then in fourth grade, we try to teach prepositional phrases and the kids have no idea what we're talking about. Go figure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails