Sunday, November 01, 2009

Halloween

I apologize for the low quality of the above shot, but it's mostly here just to prove a point. This is a picture of all the people Tyler works with taken on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. As you may be able to tell, Tyler is pretty much the only person who is not dressed like a pirate (he's wearing a green striped shirt). This is just to illustrate that they take holidays, especially holidays which require dressing up, very seriously. Which meant that he had to dress up for Halloween.


He wasn't long in deciding to be Han Solo. It's a pretty easy costume, which somehow I got in charge of putting together. This picture doesn't even show off the sweet red felt stripe that I sewed down the side (which Tyler's co-worker pointed out are so wrong. They're supposed to be bloodstripes, which I knew because I checked out multiple screen shots of his pants before getting started, but didn't feel like making). His vest I made out of an old lady's vest that I got at the thrift store for 50 cents.

I decided that it was high time that I dressed up too, especially because (finally) I'm not pregnant and can wear a normal costume. I asked around to see if anyone had a white bathrobe to make my Leia costume, but I could only find this LOTR-type robe. So I turned it around, basted up the back, rolled up the hood to make a sort of cowl neck, and opened two seams for my arms. Add Tyler's belt covered in tin foil and two knee-high compression stockings stuffed with socks (which was Tyler's last minute design; genius, really), and BAM: instant Princess Leia.

Lillian got a kick of how we were both princesses and insisted on arguing over which of us was going to marry the prince, played by Tyler because he had stripes on his pants, just like Prince Charming. No amount of explaining that I already married daddy would satisfy because She Is Cinderella and Cinderella marries Prince Charming. End of story.

2 comments:

Allison said...

So cute! In our neighborhood/ ward here EVERYONE dresses up. Needless to say... we were the only couple not dressed up. Not only that, everyone has a theme. You would have fit right in. We went to a party and a guy came up to us and said, incredulously, "You guys came dressed as the Plummers? How boring."
I also was wondering how you did the Princess Leia buns. Thanks for explaining.

Natchel said...

Where was Nora? I wanted to see a chubby little Ewok!

Related Posts with Thumbnails