Friday, October 23, 2009

What's a frittata with you?

I've started buying mass quantities of meat when it goes on sale. These 93% 2 lb chubs were on sale for $1.67 a pound a few weeks back, so I bought 4, cut them in half, and stuck them in the freezer. I pulled one out to make tacos a few days back, but when I went to actually use it, it was still frozen.


I looked in the fridge to see what else I could make and found these items: half an onion, 4 strips of bacon, and a jar of sun-dried tomatoes. Seriously, this was all we had.

I was not dismayed, because this sounded like the makings of a delicious frittata.


Frittatas are like omelets in that you can put anything you want in them. They are not like omelets in that they are far easier to make, and much tastier, I think.


I usually use 8 eggs. Fry up what you want to fry, in my case that's bacon and half an onion, and then beat into the eggs everything you don't want to fry, like some sun-dried tomatoes.


Oh, lookie here. This will also do nicely.


Once your cooking ingredients are all cooked, pour the eggs over and prod them along with a spatula. Don't get too crazy, just kind of poke it around and try to get the bottom all cooked, but not cooked on top.

A variation that I did not do this time around, but is very delicious, is to take come stuffing and mix it up with some oil (or melted butter if you're feeling daring), then put it on top. It makes a nice crunchy crust.

Also, you could put some cheese on top, but I put cheese in it... so I opted out.

Then you broil the whole thing for 1 or 2 minutes. Just long enough to finish cooking it and brown the top a little bit.


Then you slide the whole thing out of the pan. Mmmmmmm.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I just want you to know that although it wasn't inspired by frozen ground beef, we had one of those "what's for dinner in 10 minutes?" nights tonight. I made fritatta. THANK YOU. It was so good (ours was zucchini, green onions, bacon, corn, and cheddar cheese).

Jill said...

I'll have to try this... it sounds yummy.
Also, I always cook my ground beef BEFORE putting it in the freezer. It makes dinner prep that much faster in the evening!

Related Posts with Thumbnails