I recently started reading Ken Jenning's blog. Bridget recommended it to me a long time ago, and it took me awhile to get into it because every time I'd look, he'd have some sort of word play question that I would have no idea how to solve and it made me feel dumb. But, he does blog about other things that I find funny and/or interesting. In last Thursday's post, he lists the earliest news events he can remember. He's almost 10 years older than me, so our lists are wildly different, but I thought this was fun to think about. Here's my list with my corresponding ages:
1. Election of George H.W. Bush- November 1988 (age 5). I probably only remember this because we had a polling place in our garage (right?) and I can remember asking my mom what the heck all these people were doing at our house and having a talk about how Ronald Regan wasn't going to be president anymore.
2. Persian Gulf war- August 1990 (age 7).
3. Rodney King riots- March 1991 (age 7).
4. Fall of the USSR - Dec 1991 (age 8). I remember my teacher pulled down the world map at the front of the classroom and pointed to the big purple splotch that was the USSR and said that we would have to get new maps because it wasn't going to look like that anymore.
5. US invasion of Somalia- 1992 (age 9), and I'm going to group this together with the start of the Bosnian War, which also took place in 1992 because in thinking about this, I had to look up whether Somalia and Sarajevo were part of the same conflict.
Two things stand out about my list. The first being that 3 out of 5 (4 out of 6 if you count #5 as two seperate occurances) items have to do with wars or violence. The second being that on Ken's list, all items occured when he was between 5 and 6 years old. I must have been asleep at the wheel when I was that age because mine span from age 5 to age 9.
Is there some world event I'm missing that I probably do remember but just didn't think of? What are the first news events you remember?
Note: I just remembered watching MTV with one of my older siblings, Allison maybe, when the Milli Vanilli lip-syncing scandal broke in 1989 (age 6). Does that count as a major news event?