We were supposed to close on our house on Monday, which came and went. Then Tuesday, maybe. Wednesday didn't look too promising, but Thursday, yes, Thursday would do. We were excited and nervous, buying our first house. For almost an hour and a half, we signed papers. This was what we've waited and waited for. After we signed our life away, the woman at the title company took our ream of paper to make copies. While she was gone, we heard the familiar 'ding' of an email client, signaling a new message on her computer. When she came back, she handed us our papers, and we started getting up to leave. At this point the title woman casually checked her email and informed us that the deal we thought we had just closed is, in fact, still wide open to the tune of $1600 of missing taxes and other miscellaneous fees that she didn't explain all connected to the fact that we submitted our offer (in November) intending to close at the end of January. This $1600 has somehow accrued in the past month and a half of limbo.
Can we still move in on Saturday? No.
When will we hear back? Monday, at the earliest. Our realtor says that there's "a lot of hands in this pie," so if we hear back from the 1st company on Monday, we may not hear back from companies 2, 3, 4, and 5 until mid to late next week. They may decide to accept $1600 less. They may decide to chuck the whole deal and foreclose, in which case we could offer to pay it, in which case, they may or may not accept.
We have rented a U-Haul and contracted the Elder's Quorum from both our current ward and our future ward to help us move this coming Saturday. We have to be out of our apartment on the 15th. Our electricity is going to be turned off on the 13th. As of tomorrow, we will be paying utilities for two houses, one of which, we don't own or rent.
I'm beginning to really hate this whole process.