Friday, July 18, 2008

Peppered Pork Medallions in Tangy Mushroom Sauce

I'm always looking for easy/fast/healthy recipes and I got this one from "The Best Life Diet" cookbook. Super good and super fast.

Ingredients:
1 pork tenderloin (1-1 1/4 lb), cut into 1/2-inch slices (I used pork chops because the only pork tenderloin I could find at the grocery store was teriyaki flavored)
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
8 oz fresh quartered mushrooms (I tried to quarter my mushrooms while the meat was cooking, and I was a little frazzled because the meat cooks so fast... so do this ahead of time)

(If serving over brown rice, get that going first. I always forget to start the rice and then we end up eating white rice because it cooks faster.)
1. Sprinkle both sides of pork slices with pepper and salt. In 10-in skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over med heat. Add pork; cook 3-5 minutes, turning once, until browned.
2. In a small bowl, mix broth and flour until smooth. Add vinegar. Add broth mixture to skillet with mushrooms and thyme. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes or until pork is no longer pink in center and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve over brown rice.

This fed me (and I am definitely eating for two) , Tyler, and Lillian who, surprisingly, ate a whole pork chop (she doesn't like meat) with enough for me to eat for lunch today. The cookbook says that one serving is only 200 calories with 60 calories from fat (that's for Allison). That 200 calories probably doesn't include the rice. So yummy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails