Monday, June 27, 2011

Things that are impossible to explain

Lillian, like any 4-almost-5-year old asks a lot of questions. Most of them I can answer fairly easily. For example, Tyler just left for 4 days to Houston (as in "Houston, we have a problem"). Well, he'll only be in Houston for 3 days, but he's leaving from work this afternoon, so it might as well be 4. Anyway, Lillian was very concerned about where he'll be sleeping as Houston is too far away to come home every night. Except, she calls it Fuse-ton. "Are there enough hotels in Fuse-ton for Daddy to sleep in?"

"Yes, honey. There are plenty of hotels for Daddy."

See, easy. But, sometimes, she asks things that I know the answer to, but I can't come up with a way to explain it in 4-almost-5-year old speak. Like, "Why can those bugs walk on the water?"

Well, you see, there's something called surface tension... and um... molecules... and they're... polarized...?

Other things she's asked- Why can you blow out candles? Why does the sun go down at night? Why do plants need sunlight? Why do we need to breathe? And, the other day she asked Tyler why you lean when you go around corners in the car.

I can tell she's not satisfied with the answer "because the sun needs to go to bed, just like you," but she doesn't even understand the concept of a map, how the heck is she going to understand the idea of the Earth?

3 comments:

Shawna said...

I like giving thorough answers to things sometimes. It's fun to watch Nancy try and comprehend photosynthesis. Occasionally it stops her from asking quite so many questions.

I have to admit though that there are times where it backfires and spurs further questions and I end up trying to distract her. At least she's learning something?

Sarah Familia said...

I totally blogged about this the other day. The science questions are hard for me to explain. But for the earth, I suggest getting a globe. It really helps my children to conceptualize things like why it is night-time for the grandparents when it is day-time for us, and relative distances between different places. I think a globe can actually be easier to understand than a map.

Myriah Cohen said...

When I have kids, I'll just send them to you. I totally couldn't answer any of those questions. Although, I guess I could google them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails