Saturday, March 19, 2011

Best Homemaker in the World?

This week, my Current Issues in Mormonism class and my Home/Community-Based Nursing class have combined in a bizarre way. For my Mormon class, I wrote a short essay on President Beck's Mothers Who Know and why I thought it was so controversial. Here's what I thought, the 30-second version: President Beck lays out a formula that is very black and white: (M=V)=(C=R) where M equals mothers, V equals virtue (as defined by President Beck as leadership, teaching, homemaking (which specifically includes housekeeping), etc.), C equals children, and R equals righteous. Thus, Women who are Virtuous will have Children who are Righteous. Because President Beck made no qualifying statements, women felt that it was implied that the reverse is also true: that if your children are not righteous, you were not a virtuous woman, which is false. Also, women hate the conflation of housework and righteousness, or the implication that if you are a poor housekeeper, you don't love your kids, or something.

But, what if that is sort of true? For my Home/Community-Based Nursing class, we have been studying about environmental health, and I learned that I should be vacuuming and dusting once a week. Once a week? Every week? When I read that, I couldn't remember the last time I had vacuumed. Pickles.

A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that regular vacuuming, along with other interventions like non-permeable covers for mattresses SIGNIFICANTLY reduced asthma and allergy problems.

Both the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America both recommend dusting and vacuuming once OR TWICE a week if you have allergy or asthma sufferers in your house. Which I do.

So I am making this a school project. For the love of your lungs, vacuum and dust once a week!

And, because this is academic, it has to be measurable. Please take a minute to take my survey so I can show that I really changed your perceptions about vacuuming. Or I didn't.


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.

9 comments:

michelle m said...

Wait... as a person who has been doing a lot of evaluation lately... don't you have to check our perceptions before and after for this to be valid data?

Just sayin'. But I gotta go dust.

Usandthings said...

It's true Michelle, and I thought of this. But, I didn't think of it before I posted, and the evaluation isn't really part of the assignment.

Shawna said...

Well, I said I'd dust once a month, but I have to clarify that that is a HUGE improvement over my "what dust?" philosophy. Don't think I've done it since we moved in here, about 5 months ago...

Allison said...

I have 4 boys and 2 dogs. I vacuum at least three times a week. I also seem to dust the main areas at least weekly. The upstairs bookshelf that I never look at gets dusted once every 6 months.

Bridget said...

I actually enjoy vacuuming so I do it twice a week at least. Dusting...my cleaning guy does it once a week. Is that good enough?

Eevi said...

I am great about vacuuming but I barely ever dust...

Myriah Cohen said...

Heeey, what a classy logo! GOOD WORK!

Also, is there some type of tool that can be used for dusting? I've never done it.

Caitlin said...

So I got one of those special covers that go over pillows to keep dut mite poo and other nasty things out of the lungs of my children. They (the covers) were AWFUL! The covers were made out of some paper-like material that was not soft even if you covered it with two pillowcases. Plus, they were super noisy whenever you moved your head. Did I get the wrong ones? I am a realist and I get that no matter how much I vacuum or eat organic or use vinegar in place of chemicals, my family is being poisoned, radiated (thanks Japan) and otherwise contaminated. Archer started having allergy problems the day we moved to Houston so the info in this post makes me feel a little bit better in knowing that there are things I can actually do to help him. Thanks!

Caitlin said...

I meant "dust" not "dut. Oops.

Related Posts with Thumbnails