Monday, January 27, 2014

Hold my hair, I'm going to blog.

Remember when I used to blog?  And read blogs?  Why don't I do that anymore?  

I was considering this issue while I was up with the baby last night, and I don't know is the answer.  Maybe because my IQ has plunged dramatically with the addition of this 4th child, such that I'm having trouble coming up with complete sentences.

What would I write?

Well, I'm tired of people telling me "Calories IN=Calories OUT"


because I think it's not true, especially when breastfeeding.

In an informal survey of a few moms at the park, 100% of them told me that they had TROUBLE getting weight off while breastfeeding (which, supposedly burns 500 calories a day) and that when they quit the weight just came off.  So bodies are sometimes miserly and hoard calories, which has nothing to do with this calories in=calories out mantra that somehow is supposed to make me feel better.

Science agrees with me.  In the book "Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies," the author cites studies on the children of the Dutch famine during WWII, and how they are all mostly overweight today because their bodies were programmed to be really efficient with their calories.

I'm not trying to lose weight in order to be thin and pretty.  My clothes don't fit; it's an economical issue.  I don't want to have to buy a whole new wardrobe when I have a closet full of clothes that are just fine... just a little on the small side.  Plus, I hate shopping.

1 comment:

The Clark's said...

I've missed your posts! You are so creative and witty. Plus I'm right there with the other 100% of women who never lost weight until after I stopped breastfeeding.

Related Posts with Thumbnails