Monday, November 03, 2008

Pregn

I get all the fun stuff, medically speaking. A week or so ago, I had a little sniffle so I was coughing quite a bit. This made my stomach sore. Then it was just sore in one spot, but only if I coughed, sneezed, or laughed too hard. Yesterday, I was drinking some water and I sputtered a little bit and coughed a lot. Then my stomach hurt a lot in that one spot, about three finger width's to the right of my belly button, but still only with movement.

I called mom and we had a "can this wait until Tuesday" conversation (my regularly scheduled appointment with the OB is on Tuesday). We decided it was just a pulled muscle and they weren't going to be able to do anything about it anyway, so I decided to just try to take it easy today.

This morning, I sneezed unexpectedly and it was the most painful thing that's ever happened to me in the history of painful things that have happened to me. I may have just imagined a popping or ripping sensation, but I'm pretty sure I felt it. I was crying it was so painful, and the pain didn't go away. The sharp, stabbing pain. I called the OB nurse and she said I had....

Abdominal Separation or Diastasis recti. In short, my stomach muscles have separated at that spot due to the stress of my big belly. Her solution: take it easy, lay down a lot, take Tylenol, and don't lift anything heavier than 10-15 lbs. Just so you know, Lillian weighs about 25 lbs, so... I'm not sure how that's going to work. Today, we laid around and did nothing. I didn't go to the grocery store or do laundry or vacuum or pick up toys. We watched a lot of TV and I read my book.

I'm no doctor, but I think the only cure for this thing is to have the baby, which won't happen for another seven weeks. I see the doctor tomorrow, so we'll find out if it will get better or not before then. If not, I'll just have to get used to having the messiest house on the block and turning my clothes inside out to get a second wear out of them. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Myriah Cohen said...

Man.

You seem to always have hard pregnancies.

Once this kid comes out, I can help you with some birth control if you'd like.

Allison said...

I have bad news for you. Your stomach muscles will never be the same after they split. Take it from me. You have to have them sewn back together if you want them to be as they were.

Related Posts with Thumbnails